Saturday, November 12, 2011

I Want My Own Personal Celebrity


Belonging to Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT), I have been trained in the art of accompaniment, literally walking with someone from one place to another in a way designed to assure our mutual safety and well-being.

Yesterday, the news reported that the environmental protestors had scored a success, in that the White House delayed any possibility for granting permission to a Canadian company to transport shale oil through a large portion of the United States, for at least a year.

But the report concluded with almost an after thought: a couple of named celebrities attended the protests.  When I hear their names, I laughed to myself, for the unbidden thought that somehow, the celebrities were being credited for ‘saving the day’ for the environmental movement.

I have mixed feelings about the environmental issues (for another time, perhaps), but I am quite taken with the idea of each of us having our own personal accompanying celebrities.

After all, why should they get all the glitter and attention?  And since most of us can’t command that kind of focus just by being ourselves, wouldn’t it be nice to have our own celebrities to go with us to events important to us?

Clever - all 3 morphed into 1!
What George/Brad/Johnny
would look like
I’m pretty sure George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are already booked well into the future, but there might come a day when even such ‘A list’ stars might actually enjoy going with me about my days.

And think how much easier it’ll be to raise funds for medical expenses for those in our community without health insurance.  Surely a call from George or Brad or Johnny would bring the bucks flowing in.  No more pot luck suppers; no more raising the money $5 and $10 and $20 at a time!  Now there’s a thought!

But come to think of it, I actually like those pot lucks.  I like hanging in the kitchen with Flo and Pearl and the other ladies.  I like coming together with my neighbors to do something both nice and helpful for one of us in need, knowing that they’ll do the same for me when I’m in need.  And I like the food too.

Come to think of it, I already have my own personal celebrities.  You may not know their names, but that’s ok.  I’m betting you already have your own celebrities too.

No comments:

Post a Comment