Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Celebrating Red


I remember tomatoes warm from the sun, tomatoes a color I bite into and know pleasure.

I remember a silk dress I love – twirling in it in church, feeling like I was the Pentecost flame, arching ever more upward with each turn.

Scarlet Kingsnake
Non-venomous snake
I remember a snake so small crossing my path (or was I crossing his?) on the Appalachian Trail, a quiet intrusion of color in a quiet place made colorless by the very profusion of the sameness of the browns and greens of the forest – a small creature of white and red stripes – not crimson, not blood, just crayon-box red – ordinary and beautiful.

And now, in the winter, I revel in the cardinal in the bare forsythia branches outside my window.  His is the color of pride and I am impressed.

Today, I celebrate red.

4 comments:

  1. My sister in law said that a cardinal was gods signal to her that he was watching over her....whenever i see a cardinal i feel a little burst of energy ...to see the bright red bird in the winter is one of the things i look forward to ....also it reminds me of jean who died several years ago....ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is energizing just to see the bright cardinal in the midst of winter, isn't it? Thanks for sharing, Ann & hope to see you soon.

      Delete
  2. Beth,
    I loved this blog. Red is my favorite color. Which is apparent by the number of red tops I have in my closet! Rick & I saw a cardinal outside our back door a couple of days ago. It made me long even more for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Love, love, love the cardinals, especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete