Sunday, January 29, 2012

Heed the Advice of the Wise: On Being a Following Shepherd


When I first met Arthur Pow, he was tending the flowers of the church grounds at St. Luke’s in Greenock, Scotland, where I was serving as a student minister intern.  I was leaving church when Arthur, then in his 80's,  took a break from his gardening to meet me.

We spoke for a time, during which Arthur spoke to me of shepherds and their dogs – following the flock, not leading; gently keeping an eye out, not herding.

I think now and I thought then that Arthur was giving me a bit of wisdom.

Lead by following.  I wonder: is that part of Jesus’ notion that the first shall be last?  Watching out for the strays, taking it slow – no hurry, leading by following?

I tend to want to charge ahead, only seldom checking to see if anyone is following, to hurry, to be impatient with the ‘flock’, which, by its very nature, slows each other down.

But maybe slowing each other down is part of what we do for each other when we come together.

A slow herd seldom falls from the cliff.

_______________
Arthur was a retired physician who loved flowers.  Arthur died peacefully this January 16th past.  Well done, good and faithful friend to so many.  Dr. Pow's Obituary

No comments:

Post a Comment