Monday, January 16, 2012

What's In a Name?


Watching the BBC production of Sherlock Holmes featuring Benedict Cumberbatch, I found myself waiting on the credits, trying to remember his name – actually his last name – when I noticed his first name and had to laugh – you just don’t see many Benedicts in the United States.   Benedict Arnold kind of ruined that for all the would-be Benedicts here.  The name is synonomous with ‘traitor’ and who wants to name their kid ‘traitor’?

Some names just seem to disappear because someone infamous changes the very meaning of the name, so that Benedict (at least in the U. S.) no longer means blessed, it’s literal meaning from the Latin benedictus, but rather, ‘traitor’.

Adolf no longer means noble anything . . . and Judas, like Benedict, refers not to the praise of God (the literal meaning: God is praised), but to the act of personal betrayal.

And on the personal level, can’t we all think of names we would never give our children because that name has become associated in our minds with some horrible trait or behavior based on someone we knew, probably in kindergarten?

Naming is a powerful thing, speaking desire into reality.  But acting is also powerful and actions can change the meaning and intention of the naming.

Shakespeare was, it turns out, just wrong . . . a rose by any other name would not smell as sweet.

But the reverse is perhaps also true . . . a horror of a name can be redeemed by the life of the one ‘wearing’ it.  

2 comments:

  1. Of course Shakespeare also said:

    "Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
    Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him,
    And makes me poor indeed."


    I think this is what you meant, your name is what you make of it. It is your "jewel of your soul." I'm not sure if the fact that Iago said it makes it better or worse ;)

    BTW. I really liked the Sherlock Holmes show with Bendict in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true on all fronts - and who knows with Iago? I tuned in to this most recent Sherlock last night and I'm with you - love it! First saw Benedict Cumberbatch in Amazing Grace - wonderful film and I thought at the time what a fine young actor he is. Glad to see this incarnation in an entirely different direction. Peace out

    ReplyDelete