Monday, February 20, 2012

Being Grateful


Isn’t it so true?  And I have no idea why.  I have some guesses, but that’s all they are: guesses.  I am guessing that gratitude does in fact turn what we have into enough because being grateful is full-time work – it doesn’t leave much time for anything else.

But even more, gratitude is a state of being that is turned outward rather than inward.  It considers the other more than the self.  When I am thankful for what you have done for me or allowed of me, there isn’t much, if any, room for me to be anything but thankful.

It’s a reorientation of sorts, isn’t it?  A way of looking that sees the 360̊, gratitude allows us to apprehend the before and after of things and to appreciate the contrast which has worked to our favor.

Gratitude recognizes that much of what we have and who we are is the result of the kindness and efforts of others . . . God . . .family . . . friends . . . strangers . . . and even enemies.

I am grateful for the shining sun I did nothing to bring into being . . .

I am grateful for the mind that I have that was gifted to me by the generations . . .

I am grateful for the job I was given by people who were strangers when they decided to trust me. . .

I am grateful for children who are who they are in spite of as much as because of me . . .

I am grateful . . . and I have enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment