Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sermon Cliff Note: "Now there were some Greeks . . ."


Now there were some Greeks . . .
You know – the not-from-here folks. . . 

maybe they heard about Lazarus
dead-raised
or maybe
they saw the donkey parade

However they heard, new in town,
they went to seek out the newest thing – 
the wonder-working parable speaker
In those days, everybody wanted to see Jesus

Someone wants to see him
and Jesus talks about. . .
seeds falling to the ground
and glorified things 
and serving 
and following . . . 
him

Son-of-Man-Jesus was about to die –
and he was speaking in riddles
and we were scratching our heads . . .

Taking pity on us, he gave us the parable about the seeds –
as if that helped!
Sure, I get it – seeds ‘die’ for the plant to live
and produce even more seeds –
But what does that have to do with a couple of Greeks
dropping by for a visit?!?  

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we get it!
We didn’t then, but we do now . . . 
Jesus’ dying brought more followers
somehow, in his dying,
We and he became more than we had ever been
And the usual blah, blah, blah . . . 
Serve me, follow me . . . 
Follow me, serve me . . . 
Serve and follow me =’s honor from God
Okay, already, we get it!

But did we?
Do we?
Probably not . . .

When Jesus died . . . 
When he died, it all changed . . . 
Without him, I would have just gone home . . . 
and every now and then, 
when someone from the old days
showed up, I’d have remembered
We’d have laughed and cried
and then gone back to our lives

But with what happened after, 
there was no going back
not for any of us . . . 

It hurts to admit how impatient He made me back in the day . . .
But it’s true . . . 
I just kept wanting him
Just once . . . 
To get – to – the – point
But he never did
how could he?
He was the point!
Loving, maddening, parable-telling, weird . . . Him!

And he knew it would be hard . . . 
It troubled him – what he, what we, would have to go through . . . 
But he showed us how to do it . . .
Not complaining . . . 
Not trying to get out of it . . .not then, anyway –
No – he took a deep breath, said “This is why I came”
and threw himself upon FatherGod . . .
And God heard him –
I have and I will . . . 
That’s what God’s voice said that day . . . 
I have heard you . . .
I will live up to myself in You, Son!

Now, said God . . .
Now you will know . . . 
Now is judging time . . . 
Now is Satan-kicking-out time . . . 
Now is Jesus lifting up time . . . 
Now is earth-reconciling to Me time . . . 

No wonder people thought the Voice of Heaven
was thunder . . . 
That kind of message
rolls 
and echoes
around the world
and down the corridors of time . . . 
making human tuning forks
of us all . . . 

Still we did not understand . . . 
How?
Who?
The questions were endless . . . 
Who are you to say these things?
How can Messiah ever die?
Why do you say these things?

He was pleading with us – 
Believe . . . please believe . . . 
Believe and become . . . 

There was darkness in the land . . . 
He wasn’t wrong about that . . . 
how he yearned for us
to step out of that darkness
and into his light . . . 

What happened to the Greeks?
I think they were the point . . . 
or their question was – 
Sir, we want to see Jesus.

In answer, Jesus 
offered up himself

Now the circle is complete -- 
for once,
somebody actually got the question right . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment