Wednesday, April 4, 2012

7 Ways to Avoid Being Depressed About Your Age


This started out to be a list of 5 good things about being 57.  I really don’t know five good things about being 57.  I’m 56.  But I sure am hoping there are at least five – good things – about this impending age that careens beyond my control towards 60.

But if you want to avoid being depressed about your age, especially at 56, here goes:

(1) don’t let a friend take you out to celebrate your birthday four months early;

(2) don’t look in the mirror too closely – ever! 

(3) don’t stay up until 4 a.m. thinking you can bounce back the next morning like you’re still in your 20's . . . or 30's . . . or 40's . . . ;

(4) don’t round up - ever (as in “I’m going to be 57 – wow, that’s almost 60!);

(5) don’t hang out with much younger people – their shock at your age is flattering, but it is still shock;

(6) don’t start cello lessons at 56 – the sound of the 12 year olds racing across the strings with their spry bows will only depress you, for you will never have that agility again;

(7) never – and I do mean never – read or watch Mrs. Dalloway – there is literally nowhere to run from the musings of the ever genteel title woman’s ruminations on the things she will never do again.

So there it is – my list of how to avoid being depressed about the ticking clock.  Most days, I’m glad to be who I am, where I am, and the age I am.  But every now and then, that blasted ticking clock reminds me that the alligator waits*.

And I hate alligators!

_________________________
*Check out Peter Pan if you don’t get the reference.

3 comments:

  1. Hang on alittle longer ...you are in the inbetween age ...kind of like 11 or 12....i can not tell you why but believe me 60 and beyond is great...better than any other time...i think you are going to love it.....ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I sad yesterday in Person-- I love your OLD posts!--pun intended
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't ever talk musicians or singers with kids under 35. My 12 year olds had never heard of Eric Clapton. Shudder. :)

    ReplyDelete