Saturday, April 21, 2012

Scotland -- Day Nine: Assembly-Line Sushi


Walking through the Silverburn Mall (aka the Silverburn Shopping Centre) near Glasgow yesterday, I particularly enjoyed the visual of all the food on offer.  My favorite had to be Yo Sushi, featuring, as it does, an assembly-line approach with dishes on offer wending their way along the thin oval of a food bar around which patrons are seated.

I am no fan of sushi (shoot, I don't eat anything from the water), so this was no particular temptation to dine for me.  I was simply tickled by the visual, imagining myself sitting there with the other diners, watching prospective dishes float past me like suitcases at the baggage claim, looking for my particular dish – would I only recognize it once it was well past me and have to wait for the next rotation?  Should I chase it around?

Then, of course, there is the I Love Lucy television episode from the 1950's where Lucy with her friend and sidekick Ethel, end up working in a chocolate factory.

It’s one of, if not the, funniest bits of television I’ve ever watched.  But I have to confess that the idea of having to pluck my food from a moving target fills me with the anxiety of Lucy and Ethel on that assembly line.

I suspect that the experience of sushi and even chocolate inevitably suffers when the attainment becomes a competition, even if its only a competition in my own mind and with only myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment