Thursday, April 19, 2012

Scotland -- Day Seven (Travel Dreams)


Day seven was an uneventful day in a life – spent relaxing and laughing and dining with friends – and spent dreaming about what I might do while here, having come with no set itinerary and plenty of time, a rare luxury.

So much of yesterday was spent dreaming of Shetland – I could go later in the month for the annual Shetland Folk Festival (#15 on The Herald’s 100 Things to do in Scotland Before You Die  list [I’ve already some aspect of fifteen others on the list]).

Ailsa Craig
I’d take the train to Aberdeen and the ferry to Shetland, singing, clapping and stomping in rhythm to the music made by my imaginary new musician friends going over to play the festival.  And hoping against hope, I’d stay up to the wee hours every night I was there craving a glimpse of the northern lights.  I’d make my way to the northernmost point of Scotland (and hence Great Britain and the United Kingdom – a discussion on navigating the politics of naming we’ll leave for another day).  And I’d stand on Mavis Grind and throw a rock from the North Sea into the Atlantic Ocean (or is it the reverse?  I can’t recall - but it’s also on The Herald’s Top 100 list).

Reality sinks in as I check out distances and costs.  It’s rather dear (meaning expensive) to get from here to there.  I can actually get to Paris cheaper than I can get to Shetland from Ayr.  It’s frustrating: while Paris is lovely, it’s Shetland I want to aim for this time round.

But here’s the thing about travel: once you’re where you’re going, you actually have time to think about why you’re here in the first place.

Liz & Idris Crumlish at Rozelle House Tea Room
And while Scotland has some amazing places to see and things to do, I didn’t come for the tourism.  I came for the friends I’ve already made, the comforting places I’ve already been.

Sure I’ll do some new things along the way.  But those will be the icing.  The cake, you see, I’ve already gotten in the faces of friends too long not seen, voices too long not heard.  Some I’ve been to already, some I’ll be seeing in the coming weeks, all in their own time.

And that is blessing indeed.

6 comments:

  1. Beth, it's Judy here. How I envy you your trip to bonnie Scotland. I taught school in Hawick, 1961-1962, and loved it, especially the people. We've been "back" a couple of times but not with so much time on our hands. We went to Iona -- a very special place. Did not get to the Hebrides. I understand there's a bridge connecting some of those islands to the mainland now. Two of our PTS friends now live in Edinburgh. Oh, I could go on and on. Anyhow, enjoy your time and your friends! Peace, Judy (and Len)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo of Liz and Idris --- give them our best!
    So glad you are having such a grand time over there!!!
    Love & hugs
    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go - while you are young enough to do it.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many wondrous sites you are visiting.. and what sounds like wonderful friends! Is Findhorn by any chance on that list? Remember the meaning of re-creation and take every advantage of your time there. Peace, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your mother. GO! Just GO! yes it's expensive (but money is to be spent not only on needs, but on rare gifts to ourselves...others too but I'm trying to convince you-smile)
    and yes you went to see friends and faces. I get it. But you have time; and you are closer now than you were a week or so ago; and dreaming while you are this close makes the possiblity - the reality - of being there all that more possible. (better than dreaming of Shetland from this side of the ocean!) GO! I say GO! GO! GO!

    ReplyDelete