Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Resting into grace


I have been trying so hard this week to be good . . .
mostly failing, but I’ve been trying hard, Lord . . .
but the guy with the “You’re not special”
commencement speech wasn’t wrong . . .
I am not special or different –
I am just like all the other kids at the candy
counter of Your love, pushing and shoving
my way to the front –
for what?
I know there’s plenty of candy
and that I’ll get mine
But I’ve been trying so hard
that I almost forgot –
almost
forgot
about resting into Your grace . . .
falling into Your love . . .

Photo by D. Sharon Pruitt at Flickr Commons














It’s like the trick questions
on the pop quizzes my teachers
were so very fond of giving
The obvious answer is obvious
because it’s the answer
It’s so easy to fall into you
and so hard to remember
that it is so easy . . .
I’ve been trying so hard
that I almost forgot
almost
to stop trying at all

2 comments:

  1. I think that is most powerful thing you have said this week. Resting in the Grace- the more than abunadant Grace of God- who chooses to give it to us whether we want it- we deserve- or any other reason we can come up with. God did not come up with a reason- God did it- I wonder if we are capable of Loving withut reason- maybe if we fell into Grace we will find the answer
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, Thanks. Still a work in progress, Beth

      Delete