Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Step-Parents' Day


There is no such thing as step-parents’ day.  Maybe there should be.  So today in honor of the day that isn’t, I give honor to a woman who isn’t . . .  (technically) a step-parent at all.

Sisters Beth & Bev with Seth, Anna & Ben
Bev Habeb is my son Ben’s step-mom.  That’s their story, and they’re sticking to it.

Their relationship gave birth back in the late 1980's, when I married Bev’s ex-husband Bob and became step-mom to two great kids, Seth and Anna.

Ben was thrilled to have a new brother and sister, but in the days before the wedding, he was trying to clarify how this would all work:

So, you’ll be Seth and Anna’s step-mom, right?

Yes.

So that means Bev’ll be my step-mom too, right?

W - e - e - e - l - l - l . . . not exactly, said I.

But that’s not fair!  I want Bev to be my step-mom!

And so I called Bev and ‘proposed’ on Ben’s behalf – would she be Ben’s step-mom?  And she replied, “Of course.”

And ever since, she has been, being there for Ben when I could not or would not do and in ways too myriad to count.

To Bev, my sister in experience as well as faith: thank you for loving and taking care of our boy.

3 comments:

  1. This is an awesome tribute, Beth! By the way, you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That unknown comment about the tribute is from Bridgett Green. I didn't realize that the darn thing wasn't going to add my name. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww ,how sweet .mick

    ReplyDelete