Thursday, June 28, 2012

What Will the Supreme Court Decide on Health Care?


The answer at this moment is that I have no idea.  I could make some guesses, but that would be a waste of time – mine and yours – for it would make absolutely no difference to their decision, which we will know soon enough.

I recently blogged at Gathering Voices about my view of the harm of opinion-poll governance.  The Supreme Court poised to render an important decision to all Americans, no matter where we stand on the issue, seems to prove the point.

It’s an important decision.  Many of we citizens have opinions on the subject – often passionate opinions, as evidenced by the various town halls leading up to what the Right calls Obama-Care and the Left the health care law or Affordable Care Act.

But isn’t it interesting that not one single public opinion poll has been done (at least that I can find) on how the Court will rule or even how they should rule.

The reason, I suspect, for this dearth of opinion polls in a land where we are asked daily our opinions on all things political, is the realization by pollsters that our opinions matter not one little bit to the outcome.  The Supreme Court will not be swayed by opinion polls, nor should they be.

But not so the public when it comes to presidential and other electoral politics: we are most definitely swayed by the ruling views of the herd, whether we stand within or without it.

For the integrity of our political process, I continue the call for we the people to simply STOP PARTICIPATING IN OPINION POLLS.  They’re destructive; they reveal nothing of import; and they distract us from giving due consideration to important issues.

So when the pollsters call you, as they surely will, just say no.  Decline to answer.  Invoke your own right as a citizen not to participate in the downfall of your own Republic in this one not-so-small way.

2 comments:

  1. I agree . I never participate in the polls. My
    opinion is like a belly button ,everybody has one , and mine is very personal to me.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with this. Thanks for putting it in writing and sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete