Tuesday, August 14, 2012

8 Things I Didn't Learn in Kindergarten*


1. That the other kids are as scared, confused and disoriented as I am.  

2. That eating paste is not a capital offense.

3. That the one who colors outside the lines will probably invent something marvelous and wonderful to behold.

4. That teachers are people too – they will make mistakes and I can hurt their feelings, even if I don’t mean to.

5. This too shall pass – for nothing is forever.

6. You won’t know you’re having the best time of your life until its past.

7. Some days, the sun shining on your face is the best gift you could ever wish for.

8. I don’t know everything and I never will.


_________________
*The title is inspired by Robert Fulghum's All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.  The link takes you to his man page because his August 8 poem with its note to would-be thieves is worth reading.  If you want to check out to the book, just click 'books' on the nav bar at the top of the page.

** I attended the Alexander School for kindergarten and my framed kindergarten diploma hangs on my office wall alongside the other life honors of which I am proud.

***This is dedicated to my grand-son Rowen, who has begun his own countdown to kindergarten.  May it be will with you, wee boy of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment