Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dress Rehearsing Jesus


Dress rehearsing in my own mind telling my 5-year-old grandson the Christmas story became our own very small Christmas ‘pageant’ this year.  It’s more humorous than perhaps warranted, with ‘wise guys’ and Mary & Elizabeth pulling babies and teddy bears from their shawls.

In putting it all together in a visual, I realized that there is lots of movement – seems everyone is always going somewhere.  This is not a character-driven story; it’s an event-driven story with the characters virtually pushed along from one happening to the next.  And visually, that can be pretty funny, especially for the angel of the Lord, who flits from one divine-message recipient to the next.

Mary, Joseph & THE STAR
during PW Christmas program
But my favorite ‘character’ in our pageant has to be the North Star.

I got some foam crosses and stick-on stars, which the kids used to decorate the yellow and orange crosses, which were then taped (carpenter’s double-sided tape – the next new wonder in my universe – who knew?) to a cardboard cake circle.  And she is fabulous.

We look to the sky for meaning.  How could we not?  Available to all . . . expansive beyond our imagining . . . ever varied yet ever constant . . . of course we see God inhabiting the vast array.

I only wish I could bring all the ‘actors’ along when I tell my beloved grandson the story of stories, of the time when God came to town and a star led the way.  I only hope he can see what I see, for it is wondrous.





No comments:

Post a Comment