Thursday, March 21, 2013

Gained in Translation


I don’t know why, but I’m often the one in the group who translates one person to another – only in English, as I have absolutely no facility at other languages.  But for some reason, I seem to be able to hear and understand different accents.  So it was that this week I found myself translating folks to each other.  It makes me smile.  Not (at least I hope) in a smug way.  But in a I’m-glad way.

I’m glad I have ears to hear.

I’m glad my hearing ears discern the differing cadences, rhythms and emphases of the human voice.

I’m glad I can flow with the current of conversation.

I’m glad to be a part of people hearing each other better.

Mostly, I’m just glad to be there, to be here, in the listening world.  It may not be forever.  Probably won’t be for always.  But for now, it’s nice.  And I am glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment