Sunday, March 3, 2013

Jesus Tasted of Olives Today


The communion bread today tastes of olives.

Literally the sensation on my tongue is the subtle olive brine of the very best olive you’ve ever eaten.

I sit, facing forward, put the bit of cracker/wafer-like bread in my mouth and almost draw back at the surprise of it.  I study it on my tongue.  I smile at the surprise.  And then I taste the sand – that tiny bit of grit . . . and the ever-present sunshine of the desert.

That’s what Jesus tasted like today – like olives and sand and desert sun.

I don’t think I was getting a secret message to decode.

I think I was getting a gift.  And it was just what I needed even though I didn’t know I needed it.  And I was grateful and glad – so, so glad.

For today, Jesus tastes of desert sun and sand and olives . . . and it is good.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I sort of thought it tasted like an artisan bread. I never thought of it as tasting Jesus; but, I think that is exactly what we are doing since we are eating it in remembrance of his body. I so enjoyed the fellowship at the church today. There are so many exciting and wonderful activities coming up for Easter. I told my husband I was feeling really gloomy and I had saw Beth had a blog and I thought I would check it out and see if it got me out of my funk; it did. I think Beth is one of the coolest ministers I have ever met. My great-grandmother, grandmother and father were all Holiness Pentacostal missionaries. VERY STRICT. I think I have found my nitch and I am extremely grateful. Amen.

    ReplyDelete