Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Where I Live 5.0


Racing down the one straight-stretch road of any distance in these mountains, racing against the school-bus schedule to get my friend home in time to greet her daughter, my friend noted the smell and smoke coming from my car.

Overheated.

Sigh.

I had just put in a quart of transmission fluid that morning, hoping against hope somehow that I could continue to limp along.

Alas, it was not to be.

We bought some time cranking up the heat and slowing down – but not much.

Get to the corner of 84! Melissa cried.

We’re not going to make it! I've got to pull over now!  I responded.

But just then we crested a small rise and there was the corner of 84.  I put the car in neutral and we coasted in to the parking space in front of the house there.  Without a word, Melissa hopped out of the car, ran into the house and came back 2 seconds later with keys to the van in hand.  Off we flew to get Maggie, arrange for a tow, pick up Melissa’s car and drive back to the house at the corner of 220 and 84 and sit down for a visit with Carlton & Patsy, owners of the van.

Where I live, when your car starts to go, you do all you can to get to the house of someone you know – so that you can run into their house unannounced, say “car keys” with no further explanation and without remark be given the keys.  Because where I live, you see, the one being asked knows all they need to because they know the one asking.  A stranger would get a ride, but a neighbor gets the keys.

***

The more car-astute among you will correctly note that I said I put transmission fluid in the car.  What I didn’t say is that I put it in the radiator.  Sigh.  That’s right: I put transmission fluid in the radiator.  Poor car, you deserved better.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is not REALLY funny, but I could not help but laugh!

    Your lack of knowledge re: cars only matches my own!

    Still giggling,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn - that's cool - I've been laughing about it all week - it's either that or weep and who wants snotty sleeves? :-) Beth

      Delete