Thursday, May 16, 2013

If It's Positive You Want


If it’s positive you want,
I am not your gal

I get it – I really do –
I’m as tired as you
are of all the kvetching,
whining, complaining
good-old-days yearning
downright bitchiness
of it all – very tired

and yes I know there is
a time for everything 
under the sun – even 
Solomon wasn’t original
to Solomon, you know –
so yes, there it a time for
putting on our happy hats
as we dream our big dreams

but life is no longer Eden
and I stand where I stand
right up to my kneecaps
in the shit of it all – and
I dare not pretend otherwise

for that lie won’t hunt,
that dog won’t dance
that girl won’t do

everything is not possible
but some things are

everything is not desirable
but some things are

everything is not good
but some things are

so when you tell me to
“be positive”
what I hear is
“be someone else”

for the someone that I am
is not an atom
but an ion
with cations and anions
mixing it up freely
sometimes one
sometimes the other
holding the fore

for are not positive
and negative
negative and positive
simply aspects of Truth?

how do we leave out one
in favor of the other
while standing in the land
of the True?

and is not the land of the True,
rather than the home of the 
free and land of the brave
the better place for standing?

And what is true is this:
I am neither brave nor free
Constrained by fears – my
own and others – fettered
by the bondage of past and
present, realities and perceptions 
does the myth of freedom (whatever
that may mean) crumble as dust
at my feet and it is there – in the
dust – that the ions have their
dance – positive . . . negative . . . 
negative . . . positive . . . 

So you want me to tell you of
a future where all will be well?
Here’s the thing – we have to
get there from where we are –
and where we are is the place
where plowshares have not yet
been yielded up from swords

where lions still eat lambs
for supper and call it
lip-smacking, freedom-
loving good

where Jew and Greek,
male and female,
slave and free
still walk the land
differences intact

and yes, we will get to that
promised land

but we must get there
from here

so what is my vision?

a time when and a place where
the people – us – are moved
to get busy and do the work
picking up our hammers
to strike a different chord 
in the heart of the sword

a time when and a place where
the prophets will rip the duct tape
from their mouths and stand and
speak and stand and speak and stand
and speak until – at long last – their
Truth begins an ionic shift into
the change we wish to be 

a time when and a place where
we stop yearning for yesterday
as if it were Eden – it wasn’t
[please, not another fb post about
the great 1950's – do we not notice
that all the faces were white?  I know
some do – for their faces are not there
and as my Grandma used to say – 
there wasn’t that much good in the
good old days]
and start yearning for the reality that
we are to be the enough it was 
created and dreamed to be
back when God stood on
that mountain top and 
looking out, bespoke,
I have a dream . . . 
and she and he is you and me

but you want positive
and I am an ion
and in positive world
I just won’t do

***

Read How the US Turned Three Pacifists Into Violent Terrorists and consider the language usage and how it shaped a reality -- for the three and for us.  Consider the trespasses that need forgiving -- 

The misuse of language is frighteningly effective when people acting non-violently against instruments of violence and the indifference that allows their continuation are labeled by government prosecutors and agencies as guilty of acts tantamount to terrorism and the courts support it.

To my gun-toting friends who insist on open carry laws, etc., I would point out that your rights to carry remain intact while my and others rights to speak and act against bigger weapons are not. This, friends, is the genuine constitutional threat of our time and it is not limited to Democrat or Republican, as all presidents in recent memory claim ever more power under the aegis of our fear of attack.

Why are we not collectively screaming against this overkill of ‘justice’ in the conviction of three peace
activists acting against the nuclear arming of a nation?  Why are we not outraged that what was an act, at most, of ‘trespass’, has been elevated to the crime of sabotage?

The real 'sabotage' was to reveal the weakness of our own mythic self-protections for the lie it is.

If the story of the Emperor who wore no clothes were re-written for our time, the little boy would have been sentenced to prison for the danger he presented of revealing the self-evident truth.

Shame on a government of, by and for a people who can no longer bear such things as truth.

But as a Christian and follower of The One, I have to agree with my government: symbolically hammering a huge piece of equipment is indeed an act of 'sabotage' and it is intended to be: it is sabotaging our lies to ourselves that our safety, our security, our future, reside on the backs of weapons of mass destruction, for they do not. The lie has been revealed for the cruel hoax it has always been. And indeed, if power is to remain power, such revealing must be quashed at all costs.

Well done, good and faithful servants. Sleep well tonight knowing you have stopped the danger presented by three people armed with nothing save Truth and the will to face you head on. Except that you haven't.

2 comments:

  1. And well said, good and faithful servant Beth! I wish I'd said that.

    Love, peace, and more Truth,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn,

      You have no idea, I suspect, how much your responses mean to me -- in the largely silent or negative feedback loop that is blog land, your voice of calm, affirmation and reassurance is a treasure. Thank you.

      Hugs,
      Beth

      Delete