Friday, September 27, 2013

9 Things I Learned About Texas

1.  Texas is not a southern state – it’s a western state. . . sorry Texas, but any state whose restaurants do not routinely and uniformly serve sweet iced tea is not a southern state – just sayin’.

2.  Texas boasts three of the 20 largest cities in the US – 2 in the top 10 – and San Antonio, at #7, is one of them.

3.  The Alamo is a religious shrine – who knew?  (I’m still trying to figure out the religion – I’ll get back to you when I do, but it’s definitely a shrine, so there’s definitely a religion there, right?)

4.  The people are nice.

5.  Almost no one wears cowboy hats.

6.  There be giants here.  I know this because the Texas-is-big-and-aren’t-you-jealous souvenir shop boasts coffee mugs and oven mitts made for the hands of giants.  I haven’t seen any yet, but I’m on the look out for the hands that’ll fill that oven mitt.

7.  Texans have a sense of humor, as evidenced by the laughing crowd at The Book of Mormon – not everyone’s cup of tea, I’ll grant, but still . . . nobody walked out – a pretty good sign, eh?

8.  It’s hot here.  I kind of knew that, but really, it’s hot.  A lot.

9.  The border and southern (as in southern hemisphere) connections make for some fabulous food experiences – and architecture . . . and everyone sharing at least a little bilingual ability . . . and lots of other stuff, but the food, oh, the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment