Friday, October 31, 2014

The Theology of Pie


The air has cooled and it’s time for cooking.

Soups . . . favorite hearty dishes to comfort . . . and pie.

I absolutely love pie and even more, I love to bake pies.  It’s just so satisfying to make something so lovely that smells and tastes so good with your own hands (although I confess I do cheat and use Libby’s instead of making pumpkin mash by hand).

I’ve learned that the secret to a good crust is a light touch, neither stirring nor rolling the dough too much.

That ‘just right’ sweet spot is a tricky thing to find and takes (at least for me) years of practice.  Maybe that’s what living a faithful life is like – lots of practice bringing increasingly fruitful results.

I hope so.

I hope when God sees the pie of my life, I hear those wonderful words Paul wrote so long ago: well done, thou good and faithful servant.  

May it be so, Lord, may it be so.



No comments:

Post a Comment